Saturday, February 16, 2008

Eddie Izzard Live in NYC




This past Tuesday, Kerri and I went to see Eddie Izzard in his first stand-up performance of a three-week run. I've been loving Eddie Izzard for just about ten years now. And I wanted to write a very thoughtful, comprehensive review. Though I laughed till tears ran down my face and body ached from laughter, I found when I got home I could barely assemble a sentence!

Watching Eddie's mind at work is as dizzying as the after-effects of laughing so hard. Throughout the evening he pummeled his way through everything from atheism, evolution, how your sexual orientation dictates your fear of spiders, and the dead language of latin to blindly accepting updates for your computer, how a plague of frogs is really just a whole lot of frogs, and giraffes miming warnings to each other about an impending tiger attack. And only Eddie Izzard can make you shake with laughter as he reads the Wikipedia definition of the word "herring" straight from his iphone.

In a word, he is brilliant! I saw Eddie on his last three tours as well as on Broadway. I even had the opportunity to meet him a couple times which thrilled me to no end. It's been quite a long time since he has done a stand-up tour, focusing mainly on his successful film career, appearing in Oceans 12 and 13, Across The Universe, Romance and Cigarettes, My Super Ex-Girlfriend to name but a few. And of course he is now the star and one of the executive producers of the TV show The Riches. However, over the last few years he has still managed to workshop new material here and there - usually in surprise one-off shows, sometimes for a weekend in LA, a couple of shows in London, etc.

So I was thrilled to get an email from his mailing list saying Eddie would be playing for one week at the Union Square Theater in NYC at 10:30pm (after the show "Jump" that normally plays there lets out.) I quickly called Kerri and ordered two tix for the very first date. Well, now he has extended straight through to March 8th! Check out the links below for details. This is his best material in years. And to catch him in such an intimate arena is rare and not to be missed.

http://www.eddieizzard.com/home.izz

http://www.auntiemomo.com/cakeordeath/

No comments: