Monday, February 11, 2008

The Grammys

What can I say except ... eh! It was alright. Not the worst, not the best.

I wish we could have seen Tina Turner without Beyonce (who isn't even in the same league.) I should add I also wish we could have seen Tina without that unfortunate facelift - yowza that was bad. And I LOVE her but oh man.

Kanye West did a very decent job. I especially loved his acceptance speech when he was talking about his mom who recently passed and he mentioned it would be in good taste not to play him off.

The Beatles tribute was bizarre. I love Cirque Du Soleil and plan to see "Love" when I'm in Vegas but I really didn't think it translated well. Seemed very out of context, which I am sure it was. And then there was the odd choice of having the funeral-like gospel version of "Let It Be" from that dreck-filled movie "Across The Universe." It was beautiful, yes. But this is supposed to be a celebration! Why not bring out Dana Fuchs to sing "All You Need Is Love" or something? Oh well. At least we were spared from watching some pop star of the moment covering a Beatles song. Hannah Montana sings Hey Jude!

And then there's Amy Winehouse. Amy, Amy, Amy. I love her to pieces. She rocks my socks. But do we have to pretend that Miss Amy sounded good last night? She didn't! I know it was supposed to be some kind of triumphant performance where we see that she is battling her demons and is sweeping the awards and yada yada. But my god why push her to perform. She finally checked herself into rehab. Why trot her out to sing and accept an award? I'm glad she won because she truly deserved it. But that performance was not indicative of her talent.

Sadly, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova did not win either of the "Once" Grammys they were nominated for. But it was fun to hear their names on national TV. Can't wait for the Oscars.

Album of the Year to .... Herbie Hancock????? What the ... ?

Spring Awakening won Best Cast Recording. Woo hoo!

And Levon Helm - who skipped the Grammys in favor of throwing a free concert in his barn in upstate NY - won Best Folk Album. Pretty cool.

Mark Ronson won Best Producer - well deserved.

Flight of the Conchords won Best Comedy Album. Now that's a performance I would've loved to to have seen!

I heard this year they showed less than 10% of the awards actually given in favor of adding more performances to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Grammys. But when the performances are less than stellar the audience loses. As always. Every year. Crappy show. Why do I watch?

Bah!

No comments: